1. Financial

Child Disability Allowance

If your child has a formal diagnosis of Tourette Syndrome you may be eligible to apply for a Child Disability Allowance (CDA) from Work and Income NZ.

The child disability allowance is paid fortnightly and is not means tested. This allowance can be spent as you see fit to assist with the raising of a child with a disability.

To qualify you must be the principal caregiver of a dependent child, under the age of 18 years old, with a disability. This disability needs to be authorised by the doctor who made the diagnosis.

The Child Disability Allowance (CDA) forms are available online or at your local Work and Income office. See www.workandincome.govt.nz

The rate of the Child Disability Allowance as of April 1, 2015 is $46.49 per week; $92.98 per fortnight.

You may also qualify for a disability allowance for ongoing treatment costs depending on your level of income.

Supported Living Payment

The Supported Living Payment is assistance for people who have, or are caring for someone with a health condition, injury or disability.

You may be able to get the Supported Living Payment if you are permanently and severely restricted in your ability to work because of a health condition, injury or disability.

To check your ability speak to your GP, staff at WINZ or online at www.workandincome.govt.nz

Disability Allowance – children and adults

If you have regular, ongoing costs that are directly related to your disability you may qualify for a disability allowance that contributes toward paying those costs. For example doctor’s visits and prescription cost for medication that is required for managing Tourette Syndrome.

Speak with your GP and staff at Work and Income to see if you qualify or visit the website www.workandincome.govt.nz

2. Educational

Special Assessment Conditions for exams

Sitting exams is stressful for anyone, let alone if you have a tic disorder like Tourette’s.

Students with Tourette’s who are studying for National Qualifications may however qualify for Special Assessment Conditions (SAC) that are granted by NZQA.

Applications for SAC need to be made on behalf of the student by the school or training institute to NZQA. It is important to let the school or training institute know about any special needs, or potential special needs requirements, as soon as the student enrols at a high school.

What are Special Assessment Conditions?

Special Assessment Conditions (SAC) provide extra help for approved students when they are being assessed for their NCEA so that barriers to achievement can be removed and they then have a fair opportunity to achieve credits. The support is used for internal standards and external (exams) standards.

Examples of SAC are use of a writer or computer, rest breaks, Braille or enlarged papers, or reader.

If a person is providing support with reading or writing, they may not guide the student or explain the assessment.

Only students approved by NZQA can use SAC for assessment for NCEA.

Who can apply for SAC?

Your child may have sensory, physical, medical and/or learning difficulties/disabilities that might be able to be overcome or reduced considerably with appropriate assistance.

Let the school know when your child enrols at their secondary school or as soon as a possible need is suspected or identified. The earlier that a school knows of a possible need, the earlier various types of assistance can be trialled. The school will contact you about the needs they have identified for your child, and they will trial various support that may help your child’s learning. This helps to determine if an application can be made to NZQA for assessments, and for which SACs.

For more information please visit www.nzqa.govt.nz/providers-partners/assessment-and-moderation/managing-national-assessment-in-schools/special-assessment-conditions/info-for-parents-and-caregivers/what-are-sacs/

3. Health

Disability Support and Services

Unfortunately Tourette Syndrome does not qualify for any disability support or services within the Ministry of Health guidelines however some of the comorbid disorders associated with Tourette Syndrome may qualify.

Speak to your health professional to see what, if any, support you may be able to receive or visit the website. www.health.govt.nz/your-health/services-and-support/disability-services